Health Cooperation (Germany / Piauí)
The activities of the ProBrasil Association in the State of Piauí began in 2006 through a partnership between the organization and the Ministry of Health (PNCH / SVS) and the Order of the Cross of Malta for actions to control leprosy in this state. From the Hanseniase projects, a series of humanitarian aid projects were developed that resulted in 2008 in the renovation, expansion and donation of equipment to the Getulio Vargas Hospital (HGV) in Teresina.
After this first action, the focus of ProBrasil’s performance was the city of Picos. In 2008 then the secretary of health of the municipality of Picos, Tasmânia Gomes de Medeiros, requested that ProBrasil collaborate in this region in the construction of a care and diagnosis center. Then began the elaboration of the “Polyclinic Project” that counted with the participation of the state, municipal and organized civil society.
The “Polyclinic Project” was conceived together with national and international health cooperation aimed at the exchange with the Berlin Trauma Hospital (UKB) in Germany and with the Oswaldo Cruz German Hospital in São Paulo / SP.
On May 13, 2009 the then mayor of the city of Picos Gil Marques de Medeiros traveled to Germany at the invitation of the head of the Hospital of Trauma Berlin (UKB) Prof. Dr. Axel Ekkernkamp, with the support of the president of the ProBrasil Association Uwe Weibrecht. They followed in the official entourage, the then secretary of health of Picos, Tazmânia Gomes de Medeiros and the state secretary of government Kleber Dantas Eulálio.
In November 2013 the Governor Wellington Dias traveled to Germany with official delegation, where he signed cooperation agreements in health specifically with the Trauma Hospital in Berlin – UKB.
This was followed by the then Secretaries Assis Carvalho (Health), Rejane Dias (SEID) and the then special advisor to the city of Picos, Belê Medeiros. At the time, a document was signed to initiate an exchange of medical professionals from Piauí and Germany;
On February 26, 2010, Governor Wellington Dias received in audience in Teresina / PI the German physician Michael Metzner, from the UKB (Trauma Hospital of Berlin) to discuss the cooperation involving the Specialized Polyclinic of Picos and the Regional Hospital of Picos. According to Wellington, the visit of the representative of the main hospital of the German capital served to consolidate this exchange. The audience granted by the governor to Dr. Michael Metzner was accompanied by the then secretary of health, Assis Carvalho, and the president of ProBrasil Association, Uwe Weibrecht, among other authorities.
After this first contact in Piauí, the Federal University of Piauí entered the project, and on November 13, 2011, the Magnificent Rector of the UFPI Luiz de Sousa Santos Júnior visited Institutions in Germany and then closed contract of intentions with UKB – Traumas Hospital of Berlin. As a result of this trip and dazzling the potential of the region, on the 03/15/2011, the Rector launched in Picos the initial guidelines of the Medicine Course at UFPI.
In the same year (2011) an official visit of the state deputies in Germany was organized with the logistic support of ProBrasil. The visit was aimed at attracting more investment to Piauí and the state parliamentarians, Margarete Coelho (PP), Belê Medeiros (PSB), Juliana Moraes Sousa (PMDB) and federal deputy Iracema Portela (PP) visited the City Hall of Eisenach, Germany. In the opportunity, the parliamentarians were also observing administrative aspects of the public power of that country.
Governor Wilson Nunes Martins on official visit to the UKB Berlin (Germany) reaffirmed his intention to partner with Germany and signed a technical-scientific cooperation agreement of the Government of Piauí on 04/16/2013 in Berlin, through the University (UESPI), with the Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin (UKB).
On 03/10/2014 another meeting of the ProBrasil Association with the Trauma Hospital in Berlin – Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin took place, culminating in the Germany-Piauí Health Cooperation Program.
As a result of this meeting, an initial confirmed action was suggested for September 17 to October 14 of that year. This action had the mission of carrying out field diagnosis related to the exchange of input and output and to provide the population in need of free surgeries at HRJL, in partnership with SMS-Picos, SESAPI, UFPI, CAMPI, CRM and COREN.
SPECIFIC HISTORY OF THE EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Past joints performed by the ProBrasil Association Aiming at the exchange project between the State of Piauí and the Trauma Hospital of Berlin – UKB were carried out in 2008 by its President Uwe Weibrecht.
- On May 13, 2009, the mayor of Picos, Gil Marques de Medeiros traveled to Germany at the invitation of the president of ProBrasil. They followed in the official entourage, the then secretary of health of Picos Tazmânia Gomes de Medeiros (presently state representative Belê) and the state secretary of government Kleber Eulálio; (Current Mayor of the City of Picos).
- On October 2, 2009, the building of the Polyclinic of Picos was inaugurated with the presence of the then Governor Wellington Dias, Deputy Governor Wilson Martins, Secretary of Government Kleber Eulálio, President of ProBrasil Uwe Weibrecht, Mayor of Picos Gil Marques de Medeiros, Tasmânia Gomes de Medeiros, participation of the medical community, politics and religious of the macro-region ..
- Traveling abroad, on November 30, 2009, then-Governor Wellington Dias reached agreements in the area of health in Germany. In addition to the Berlin Trauma Hospital (UKB), the capital of Germany, Wellington secured an important technical cooperation agreement in the area of health during his official visit to Europe with the municipality of Eisenach, located in the state of Thuringia. He was formally received by the city’s mayor, Matthias Doht; By the second mayor, Ute Lieske; By State Representative Sabine Doht (SPD) and the German government’s representative minister, Heike Taubert, at the city hall, and then at St.Georg Klinik, a modern high-complexity hospital unit in various specialties. This was followed by the then Secretaries Assis Carvalho (Health), Rejane Dias (SEID) and the then special advisor to the city of Picos, Belê Medeiros. At the time, a document was signed to initiate an exchange of medical professionals from Piauí and Germany;
- On February 26, 2010 the then Governor Wellington Dias received in audience the German doctor Michael Metzner, from the UKB (Trauma Hospital of Berlin). To discuss the cooperation involving the Specialized Polyclinic of Picos and the Regional Hospital of Picos. According to Wellington, the visit of the representative of the main hospital of the German capital served to consolidate this exchange. The audience granted by the governor to Dr. Michael Metzner was accompanied by the then secretary of Health, Assis Carvalho, and the president of the ProBrasil Association, Uwe Weibrecht, among other authorities;
- 01/13/2011 – Rector of UFPI visited institutions in Germany and closed intentions with UKB
- 03/15/2011 – The Rector launched in Picos the initial guidelines of the Medical Course at the UFPI, decisions linked to eminent international cooperation, the construction of the new regional hospital and the integration of all the systems with the Polyclinic project and the exchange.
- 2012 – continuation of ProBrasil’s struggle to keep the project alive by equipping the clinic and mobilizing society through lectures and programmed visits to the clinic as well as articulation and lectures to the medical and nursing councils.
- 2013 – the State Court of Auditors intervened a series of meetings.
- 11/18/2013 – signing of CAMPI’s management agreement with the State.
- 02/27/2014 – signature of the assignment of ProBrasil Association contract use for the State – Obs. No tax for the state being the only requirement the immediate care to the public 100% SUS and with quality.
- 04/01/2014 – Inauguration of CAMPI – MEDICAL ASSISTANCE CENTER OF PICOS – the Polyclinic begins the consultations.
- 09/10/2014 – Around 1430 specialized consultations were held a historical landmark in the State of Piauí.
- 09/17/2014 – Launching of the GERMANY-PIAUÍ HEALTH COOPERATION PROGRAM, with the arrival of the UKB German health team to carry out charitable care in the Picos region and in the HRJL – Justino Luz Regional Hospital, field exchange analysis Input and Output.